Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other Latin American countries
There are many countries with a lot of similarity with Paraguay. Latin American countries are especially similar to Bolivia since they are generally Catholic and speak Romance languages. Paraguay is also unique since most people there can speak both Spanish and Guarani.
Four of the five least similar countries are located on the Arabian Peninsula. These countries get much less rainfall and a low percentage of their land is used for agriculture in contrast to Paraguay. The five least similar countries are also much wealthier than than Paraguay.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Paraguay
- Bolivia is the only other landlocked South American country. Paraguay gained control over a large section of Bolivia during the Chaco War. Both countries have many speakers of native South American languages. However, Guarani is not even in the same language family as Quechua and Aymara, the indigenous languages most spoken in Bolivia.
- Peru is another country with many native South Americans. Both countries have a similar of living too. They also use the standard gauge railroad tracks and drive on the right but do not have well developed infrastructure. However, Peru is much more mountainous and the crops grown in both countries is not similar.
- Brazil is also similar to Paraguay, although they do not speak Spanish. Its landscape is like the adjacent land in Southern Brazil. Both countries are relatively flat and mainly grow soybean. Brazil and Paraguay also primarily rely on hydropower for electricity. They also are part of the Mercosur free trade zone.
- Ecuador is similar to Peru and Bolivia. They have a similar standard of living and also many native South Americans. Like Paraguay, its people mostly work in the service sector, but there are also significant percentages of agricultural and industrial workers.
- Uruguay‘s climate is very similar to Paraguay. As a result, both countries grow a lot of soybean. In addition, they also are not very mountainous. However, Uruguay is wealthier than Paraguay. In addition, its government is more liberal. Furthermore, Uruguay’s population has much less Native American ancestry.
- Colombia, 7. Venezuela, 8. Argentina, 9. Nicaragua, 10. El Salvador
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Paraguay
- Japan by far the least similar country to Paraguay. It is an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean that is one of the furthest countries in distance to Paraguay. The country has little demographic, technological, or cultural similarity to Japan. In addition, while Japan is quite mountainous, Paraguay is flat.
- Bahrain is a small, densely populated island in the Persian Gulf. While Paraguay is a democracy with liberal laws, Bahrain is a monarchy with conservative laws. Its climate is much drier than Paraguay’s as well.
- Saudi Arabia‘s government is an absolute monarchy and it has much more conservative laws than Paraguay. While Saudi Arabia’s electricity depends on fossil fuels, Paraguay primarily uses hydropower. Its landscape is barren and it has little surface water.
- Qatar is similar to Bahrain and Kuwait. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in contrast to Paraguay.
- Kuwait is another small Arabian country on this list. It is located between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is a wealthy, developed, and highly urbanized country, in contrast to Paraguay.
- Singapore , 7. United Arab Emirates, 8. Eritrea, 9. Taiwan, 10. Sudan
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Paraguay
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.