Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries, especially Peru, Ecuador, and Paraguay
There are many countries with a lot of similarity with Bolivia. Latin American countries are especially similar to Bolivia since they are generally Catholic, speak Romance languages, and are neither especially poor, nor especially rich. Like Bolivia, the countries of Peru, Ecuador, and Paraguay also have a high degree of Native South American influence.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Bolivia
- Peru, like Bolivia, has a significant amount of Quechuan speaking people. They were both part of the Incan Empire. Peru and Bolivia have mostly tropical climates with some mountainous desert areas. In fact, most of the area of both countries drains to the Amazon River.
- Ecuador is another country located in the Andes Mountains that also has a significant population of Quechuan speakers. In addition, their governmental policies are similar. Both countries have outlawed life in prison and prioritize nature over economic development. However, Ecuador has a bigger percentage of Africans than Peru or Bolivia.
- Paraguay is the only other landlocked South American country. Paraguay gained control over a large section of Bolivia during the Chaco War. Both countries have many speakers of native South American languages. However, Guarani is not even in the same language family as Quechua and Aymara, the indigenous languages most spoken in Bolivia.
- Colombia is another country in the Andes Mountains that is covered by a large percentage of rainforest. After Spanish colonization, both Colombia and Bolivia were originally part of the Viceroy of Peru, before gaining their respective independences. However, Colombia has a larger percentage of Africans and Europeans. In addition, the United States has had a far greater influence on Colombia than Bolivia.
- Honduras is the only non-South American country in the top 5. It is also a mountainous country with lots of rainforest. In addition, both countries have a similar economic situation and also have a similar mix of Native Americans and Europeans. One big difference is that Honduras is more violent. Its murder rate is one of the highest in the world.
- Brazil, 7. Guatemala, 8. Mexico, 9. Nicaragua, 10. Venezuela
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Bolivia
- Japan is an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. The country has little demographic, technological, or cultural similarity to Japan. However, Japan and Bolivia do share some very distant genetic similarity, due to the large Native American population, which has roots in Asia. In addition, they are both mountainous.
- Kuwait is located in the Arabian Desert between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is a wealthy, developed, and highly urbanized country.
- Qatar is another small Arabian country on this list. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in contrast to Bolivia. In addition, its climate is much drier and its terrain is quite flat.
- Bahrain is similar to Qatar and Kuwait. It is a small densely populated island in the Persian Gulf, which is highly developed. Its climate is similar to other Arab countries.
- Saudi Arabia is yet another Arabian country on this list. Its autocratic government with conservative Muslim policies contrasts Bolivia’s democratic government which has more liberal policies. However, both countries have a low population density and also do not have a high percentage of agricultural land.
- United Arab Emirates, 7. South Korea, 8. Great Britain, 9. Israel, 10. Singapore
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Bolivia
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.