Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other French-speaking tropical African countries
Central African Republic is similar to many countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. The top five countries all have French as their official language and are located in the tropical regions of Africa. The majority of the people in these countries are Christian. Furthermore, they have a low standard of living.
The four least similar countries to Central African Republic are located in Asia. These countries are all much wealthier and their infrastructure is more developed. The least similar countries are also much more densely populated. In contrast to landlocked Central African Republic, four of the five are located on islands.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Central African Republic
- Republic of Congo is just to the south of Central African Republic. Both countries are quite poor and have little infrastructure. They are also sparsely populated, although it has more tropical forest land than savanna land. Both have a mix of Protestants and Catholics. Even though these countries have a low percentage of agricultural land, much of it is used to grow cassava. Still, Central African Republic has a drier climate and is also landlocked, unlike the Republic of Congo.
- Cameroon is another former French colony, located to the west of Central African Republic. Both countries are heavily forested. In addition, they both use the presidential form of government. They also have little rule of law. Both countries allow polygamy and criminalize prostitution. One difference is their agriculture. More of the farmland in Cameroon grows corn and sorghum.
- Democratic Republic of Congo was colonized by Belgium, not France. Unlike the Republic of Congo and Cameroon, it does not use the Central African Franc. Still, the countries have many similarities. They have a mix of Protestants and Catholics. Both countries rely on hydropower to generate electricity. They are also quite sparsely populated. However, there are some small differences in their laws. Polygamy is not allowed there but unorganized prostitution is allowed.
- Togo is located in West Africa, but it still has a lot of the same traits as Central African Republic. Both countries are mostly tropical savanna. However, Togo is more religiously diverse. Although a plurality of people there are Christian, they also have a higher percentage of Muslims and people who practice Voodoo. Togo also has very similar laws to the Central African Republic, except that it has significantly less restrictive laws restricting abortion. Togo is also more densely populated and has a lower percentage of forested land.
- Benin is next to Togo. It is another religiously diverse country with a plurality of Christians, but also many Muslims and people who practice Voodoo. Less than 50% of the people in both Benin and Central African Republic are literate and their people are generally not well educated.
- Guinea, 7. Ivory Coast, 8. Burundi, 9. Gabon, 10. Equatorial Guinea
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Central African Republic
- Japan is by far the least similar country to Central African Republic. Its demographics, culture, politics, and technology are significantly different. There isn’t much in common between the two. Both countries do get about the same amount of rainfall and have a high percentage of forested area. However, Japan is a mountainous archipelago, while Central African Republic is fairly flat and landlocked.
- Taiwan, like Japan, has very little similarity to Central African Republic. Both countries have tropical climates, although Taiwan is more subtropical. Other than that there is not much in common between the two.
- South Korea is similar to Japan and Taiwan, but it does have a few more traits in common with Central African Republic. Many of its people are Christian, although they are less religious. Furthermore, they drive on the right side of the road and use a similar electrical outlet.
- Singapore is an extremely densely populated and highly developed country located on an island in the Pacific Ocean. Like Japan, Taiwan, and Korea, the majority of its people have East Asian ancestry. It was once a colony of Great Britain, so one of its official languages is English.
- United Kingdom is another English-speaking country that is quite different from Central African Republic. Despite the fact that both countries are mostly Christian and use the Latin alphabet, they have little else in common. Its climate is cooler and it has little forested land. Like Singapore, its infrastructure is also far different, since it uses Type G electrical outlets and drives on the left side of the road.
- New Zealand, 7. United States, 8. China, 9. Israel, 10. Ireland
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Central African Republic
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.