Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other predominately Christian countries near the Caribbean
Belize is unique in that it has traits of both Latin American countries and former British colonies. Although its official language is English, Spanish is also widely spoken there. Former British colonies tend to have more Protestants, while Spanish-speaking countries have more Catholics. Belize has a mix of both, although it is less religiously diverse than countries like Trinidad & Tobago and Guyana.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Belize
- Bahamas is another former British colony. Both countries make a lot of their money through tourism. A small percentage of land in the Bahamas and Belize is used for agriculture, but their main crop is sugarcane. However, the vast majority of the people in the Bahamas have African ancestry, while Belizians have a wide variety of ancestries. In addition, it is significantly wealthier.
- Panama is a Spanish-speaking country in Central America. Its technology is similar to Panama since it uses the same electrical grid, drives on the right, and has little military equipment. Both countries also have a relatively high percentage of flights per capita However, Panama is wealthier than Belize. Furthermore, Belize has no skyscrapers, while Panama has many.
- Jamaica is another English-speaking country in the Caribbean. The British brought slaves from Jamaica to Belize to help cut down trees to sell to Europeans. The governments of both countries are constitutional monarchies that have two major parties and a bicameral legislature. In addition, they both have decriminalized marijuana. However, Belize is more diverse than Jamaica since more than 30% of its people natively speak Spanish and has an even mix of Catholics and Protestants.
- Nicaragua is another Central American country that had significant British involvement. The Caribbean coast of the country, known as the Mosquito Coast, was colonized by Great Britain until it was transferred to Nicaragua in 1905. As a result, it has the next highest percentage of people with African ancestry in Central America, after Belize.
- Honduras is to the south of Belize. It also has a roughly even mix of Catholics and Protestants, like Belize. Their people have about the same standard of living. Their populations are also relatively young.
- El Salvador, 7. Guyana, 8. Trinidad & Tobago, 9. Guatemala, 10. Costa Rica
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Belize
- Japan has little demographic or cultural similarity to Belize. Their transportation infrastructure is especially different, since Japan drives on the left and has far more vehicles. In addition, Belize does not have an active railroad. Unlike other countries in Central America, Belize is quite flat, in contrast to Japan. However, both use Type A, B electrical outlets.
- South Korea is another East Asian country with little similarity to Belize, other than the fact that many Koreans are Christians. While most men in South Korea are circumcised, in Belize it is the opposite. In addition, Belize is sparsely populated, while South Korea is densely populated and more urbanized.
- China‘s demographics and culture are obviously far different from Belize. It also has a greater diversity of landscapes. While China has a huge amount of media and internet censorship, Belize has very little. In addition, according to the Lewis Model, Belizeans tend to be much more outgoing than the Chinese.
- Afghanistan is a Muslim country in Asia that has a much lower standard of living than Belize. While most of Belize is near the coast, Afghanistan is landlocked and far more mountainous. In addition, its government is more conservative and anarchic.
- Iran is located next Afghanistan. It is another extremely mountainous country with little rainfall in contrast to Belize. While Belize is a parliamentary democracy, Iran is an authoritarian state run by religious leaders. As a result, its laws are much more conservative than Iran’s as.
- Kuwait, 7. North Korea, 8. Israel, 9. Sudan, 10. Saudi Arabia
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.