Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to Guyana
Few countries are similar to Suriname. It is one of the most racially and religiously diverse countries in the world. Furthermore, it is the only other country, other than the Netherlands to have Dutch as their official language.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Suriname
- Guyana is the only other country in South America that speaks a Germanic language. Since it was a colony of the Britain its official language is English. Suriname and Guyana border each other and have nearly exactly the same geography. They are two of the most forested countries by percentage in the world. In the few agricultural areas that they have, both mostly grow rice. Both countries have many people with African and Indian ancestry, although Suriname has more Asians. In addition, Guyana did not adopt a parliamentary system of government, like Suriname.
- Trinidad & Tobago is a small island group in the Caribbean, but it has similar demographics and culture to Suriname. Both countries have many people of Indian and African ancestry. There are some big differences as well since Suriname is far less wealthy and much less densely populated.
- Belize is another former British colony on this list, but it is located on the mainland of North America. It has a similar tropical climate and standard of living. Both countries have many Catholics and Protestants, although unlike Suriname, Belize has few Hindus or Muslims.
- Peru is another South American country that is sparsely populated and has a lot of rainforest. They also have a similar level of development and standard of living. Both countries are multiparty democracies that have unicameral legislatures and elect their representatives by multimember districts. However, the ancestry of most Peruvians is from Native Americans and Europeans, unlike Suriname.
- Brazil and Suriname both have vast swathes of sparsely populated Amazon Rainforest. Both countries also have many people of African descent, although Brazil has more people of European descent. While Suriname’s national soccer team has not been very successful, it is the birthplace of an unusual amount of top soccer players considering its small population. Jimmy Hasselbaink, Clarence Seedorf, Aron Winter, Edgar Davids all were born in Suriname, although they eventually choose to represent the Netherlands.
- Ecuador, 7. Colombia, 8. Dominican Republic, 9. Venezuela, 10. Bolivia
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Suriname
- Bahrain is a densely populated desert island in the Persian Gulf, so its geography is extremely different from Suriname. It is also far more affluent and developed. While Suriname is a multi-party democracy, Kuwait is a monarchy.
- Kuwait is located in the Arabian Desert between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is extremely similar to Bahrain. It is also densely populated and quite wealthy. In addition, Kuwait is a monarchy, not a democracy.
- Japan has little cultural similarity to Suriname. Buddhism and Shintoism are among the few major religions that do not have a high percentage of followers in Suriname. In addition, while Japan is quite mountainous and densely populated, Suriname is relatively flat and sparsely populated. Still there are some similarities since both countries drive on left and uses a similar electrical voltage.
- Israel is a densely populated country in the Mediterranean. In contrast to the dry climate of Israel, Suriname is made up of lush tropical rainforest. It also has little infrastructure in comparison with Israel. Furthermore, it drives on the right and uses different electrical outlets and voltage. Furthermore, Judaism is one of the few major religions that Suriname does not have many followers.
- Qatar is similar to Bahrain and Kuwait. It is a peninsula in the Persian Gulf, connected to Saudi Arabia. It has one of the highest GDPs per capita in the world in contrast to Suriname. In addition, its government is a monarchy, not a democracy. However, both countries have many people of Indian ancestry.
- United Arab Emirates, 7. Saudi Arabia, 8. Yemen, 9. North Korea, 10. Afghanistan
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.