Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based way to measure this. It weighs equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, infrastructure, and geography. The methodology is exactly the same for each country. The research combines 1,000 different data points to arrive at the conclusions.
Similar to other North African countries
Algeria is similar to many countries in North Africa and the Middle East. The top 4 countries are all in North Africa. These countries speak Arabic and a vast majority of their population is Muslim. They also have similar geography, since they are mostly sparsely populated hot and deserts.
The least similar countries all happen to be located on islands with much wetter climates. The top four are all located in the Pacific Ocean. Most of these countries infrastructure is quite different as well since they do not use Type C, F outlets and four of the five least similar drive on the left in contrast to Algeria.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to Algeria
- Morocco, like Algeria, has a large population of Berbers. It was also a French protectorate, albeit for a shorter time. Furthermore, its main agricultural products, consisting of wheat, barley, and olives, are essentially the same as Algeria. However, Morocco is a constitutional monarchy. It is also more densely populated and its climate is not as dry.
- Tunisia was a French protectorate, like Algeria. Both countries only have coasts on the Mediterranean Sea. Although both do not have French as an official language, a high percentage of their people can speak it. In addition, both countries are part of synchronous electrical grid of Continental Europe and also use mostly natural gas to create electricity.
- Egypt is another Arab country in North Africa that is largely desert. The countries have the same semi-presidential system of government and also similar Muslim laws. In addition, the countries have a similar level of development. However, Egypt has more of a British influence than Algeria.
- Libya is Algeria’s neighbor to its east, so it shares similar geography and infrastructure. Both countries have large reserves of natural gas. They also have massively swathes of barren uninhabited desert landscape. However, Libya is much more lawless due to recent civil war there.
- Jordan is much less similar to Algeria than its North African counterparts, however it is another Arab country with a similar demographics and affluence. Like Egypt, it has more of a British influence than French. Its government is also a monarchy, unlike Algeria. The country is also much more densely populated and does not border the Mediterranean.
- Iraq, 7. Syria, 8. Mauritania, 9. Saudi Arabia, 10. Iran
Top 10 Places Least Similar to Algeria
- Japan is a temperate and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean with little similarity to Algeria. Not only is its geography significantly different, but also its demographics, culture, politics, and technology.
- Singapore is a densely populated tropical Asian country, in contrast to Algeria, which is a sparsely populated desert. Singapore is also a much wealthier country and its infrastructure is more developed. However, there is a relatively small Muslim population living there. In addition, both countries use natural gas to create most of their electricity.
- New Zealand is another wet and mountainous archipelago in the Pacific Ocean far away from Algeria. Their infrastructure also is very different as New Zealand uses Type I plugs, drives on the left, and generates most of its electricity through hydropower. In addition, New Zealand is more liberal than Algeria. One similarity is the majority of people in both countries could be considered Caucasian.
- Taiwan is a densely populated tropical island, unlike Algeria’s desert landscape. In addition, Taiwan’s demographics are vastly different since their population is much older and its birth rate is quite low. Still, the country drives on the right.
- Bahamas is a densely populated group of islands in the Caribbean Sea. The country’s demographics and culture are also quite different from Algeria. While Bahamas has one of the highest divorce rates in the world, far fewer couples in Algeria get divorced.
- Papua New Guinea, 7. Solomon Islands, 8. South Korea, 9. Canada, 10. Samoa
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to Algeria
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.