Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to other Latin American countries
Latin American countries are especially similar to the Dominican Republic, especially those near the Caribbean Sea. They are generally Catholic and speak Romance languages. They also have similar governments that use the presidential system. Few countries are extremely different from it, in part because it is neither especially poor nor especially rich.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to the Dominican Republic
- Costa Rica is located across the Caribbean Sea. Both countries have an extremely similar diet, consisting of mostly of rice and wheat staple foods as well as a similar mix of beef, pork, chicken, and fish. In addition, they are some of the more peaceful countries in the region, since they have relatively low murder rates. Both also have a mountainous rainforest landscape with many beautiful beaches.
- El Salvador is another Central American country similar to the Dominican Republic, especially in politics. Their laws are similar because they do not allow abortion or same-sex marriage. They also have abolished both the death penalty and even life in prison. In addition, their economies are integrated, since they are both part of the Central American Integration System. One big difference is that El Salvador has far fewer people with African ancestry.
- Colombia is the only South American country in the top 5. Its demographics are similar to Costa Rica, since they have a mix of people with European and African ancestry. In addition, the majority of the people in both countries work in the service sector. Both countries have also won Olympic medals in track and boxing.
- Honduras is the third Central American country on this list. There is not one particular aspect that Honduras is especially more similar to the Dominican Republic than other countries in the region. It is further down this list in part because it is poorer and more violent.
- Panama has also been heavily influenced by the United States. Both countries use 911 for emergencies and Type A & B electrical outlets. They also produce many baseball players. In addition, their agriculture is similar since they both grow a lot of rice and sugarcane. However, Panama is wealthier and its infrastructure is better developed.
- Nicaragua 7. Guatemala, 8. Mexico, 9. Ecuador, 10. Venezuela
Top 10 Places Least Similar to the Dominican Republic
- Bhutan and Dominican Republic are both mountainous, but Bhutan has the highest average elevation in the world and is landlocked. The country has especially unique traditions since its people are mostly Buddhist. In addition, the technology Bhutan uses is extremely different from the Dominican Republic, since they drive on the left and use different electrical outlets with a higher voltage.
- Kuwait is located in the Arabian Desert between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is an extremely wealthy and developed country. Furthermore, Kuwait is ruled by a monarchy and has much harsher penalties for criminals.
- Yemen is another country in the Arabian Desert, but it is also somewhat different from Kuwait, since it is extremely poor and dangerous. Its citizens have far more guns per capita. There is little political or cultural similarity with the Dominican Republic as well.
- Japan has extremely different demographics and technology compared to the Dominican Republic. Still, there are some intriguing similarities as well. Japan and Dominican Republic are mountainous island nations. Both countries also have a diet of starches that consists of mostly rice and wheat, although Dominicans eat a lot more fruit. In addition, both countries love to play baseball.
- Somalia is similar to Yemen. It is another war-torn Muslim nation that borders the Indian Ocean. Somalia is far poorer and has less infrastructure than the Dominican Republic. However, Dominican Republic has a significant amount of people with African ancestry. Both countries do not allow abortion or same-sex marriage as well.
- Saudi Arabia, 7. Sudan, 8. Qatar, 9. United Arab Emirates, 10. Oman
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to the Dominican Republic
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.