Have you ever wondered how similar or different two countries are? The Country Similarity Index attempts to quantify how similar countries are to each other relative to other countries. The index is a statistically-based objective way to measure this. The index weights equally five major aspects of countries: their demographics, culture, politics, technology, and geography. In addition each aspect was roughly balanced evenly between quantity/percentage and quality/type. See this post for a full explanation: https://objectivelists.home.blog/2020/05/30/country-similarity-index/
Similar to Vietnam, Taiwan, and North Korea
China is a developing nation so it has traits that both developed nations and undeveloped nations have. In general, there are not many countries with a lot of similarity to China, except for Vietnam, Taiwan, and North Korea. Vietnam is quite similar politically and shares a lot of the same culture, despite speaking a completely different language. Taiwan is pretty much just a more developed and democratic version of China. North Korea is also shares similar politics and geography with China. In addition, as a secular authoritarian socialist state, China shares some traits with countries of the former USSR.
Top 10 Places Most Similar to China
- Vietnam had been ruled by China several times in history, most recently in 15th Century. So its culture is more similar to China than other Southeast Asian countries. The governments of both countries are totally controlled by the Communist Party. As a result, China and Vietnam have similar religious traditions as well. They both have high rates of atheism but also practice Mahayana Buddhism.
- Taiwan is Chinese both in ethnicity and shared culture, however it also has some big differences. Its liberal, democratic government is vastly different from China’s. Furthermore, its infrastructure is far more developed. Finally, Taiwan’s geography is quite different. It is a wet subtropical island, in contrast to mainland China’s colder and dryer climate.
- North Korea, like Vietnam and China, is ruled by an authoritarian Communist Party, albeit a more extreme version. In addition, Korean culture has been highly influenced by its close proximity to China.
- South Korea‘s culture and demographics are similar to China, however unlike both North Korea and China, its government is democratic and the country’s infrastructure is more developed.
- Japan has been greatly influenced by Chinese culture, due to its proximity. Although their languages countries are completely different, Japan still uses many Chinese characters in their writing. Both countries also practice Mahayana Buddhism, but also have a significant amount of irreligious people. However, Japan’s infrastructure is completely different, as it drives on the left and uses 3′-6″ rail gauge. In addition, it has a different electrical system and a different TV broadcast standard than China.
- Thailand, 7. Kazakhstan, 8. Laos, 9. Mongolia, 10. Azerbaijan
Top 10 Places Least Similar to China
- Somalia is an anarchic, Muslim country in Africa with poorly developed infrastructure, due to civil war. The country also has little demographic or cultural similarity to China. In addition, China is quite mountainous, while Somalia is fairly flat.
- Iceland, on the opposite end of the spectrum, is a highly developed island country, which has liberal policies and culture. While China has a highly developed network of railroads, Iceland does not even have a railroad. However, Iceland has significantly more vehicles per capita than China.
- South Sudan is a newly formed African country that has poorly developed infrastructure. It has few prominent mountains and is landlocked, in contrast to China. Furthermore, its tropical savanna climate bears little resemblance to most areas of China.
- Bahamas has a completely different geography from China, since it is a low-lying group of islands in the Western Hemisphere. In addition, it shares almost no cultural or political similarity. Furthermore, it drives on the left and uses Type A, B electrical outlets with a different voltage than China.
- Malawi is a small democratic country in Southern Africa, which is one of the least developed in the world, it is vastly different from China in almost every aspect.
- Papua New Guinea, 7. Sierra Leone, 8. Niger, 9. Trinidad and Tobago, 10. Guinea-Bissau
Full Ranking of Countries and Territories Most Similar to China
Do you agree with the list?
Please leave any thoughts in the comments section.